Thursday, July 23, 2009

thank you mr. gomez

So, one of my friends is thinking about buying a new car. her current car has almost hit the legal drinking age its been around so long and obama is actually going to give her $3500 for it if she turns it in for a more fuel efficient vehicle. I am not sure what car is more fuel efficient than an early 90's toyota corolla. it seems like she is just going to have to buckle under the pressure and get one of those weird looking hybrids. do they have to make the prius look so weird?

anyway, in talking with her about purchasing a new vehicle, it brought me to about a year and half ago. it was early march, i was out early one morning picking up a few last minute items for my best friends bridal shower when BAM! i was sideswiped in the Rite Aid parking lot by a Mr. Eduardo Gomez. Needless to say my car was totaled and the next few weeks that rolled by I experienced some some really fantastic car selling techniques.

the first car that I bought was in highschool and my mom and I literally stumbled across it when we were walking out of the bank. a black honda accord with a for sale sign. the man followed us home, my dad checked out the car, tried to 'haggle' him (my dad thinks he is great at this, but the price did not go down at all, so I believe otherwsie), and then decided we would take it. it was as easy as that. when I was in my second year of college I wanted a car with less miles so that it would be safer for me to travel back and forth to school. so, i went through the classifieds with my Dad and stopped by a few places - my dad did all the 'haggling' once again. So, this time would be my first car buying experience on my own and not from the newspaper.

my first stop was Brown's Arlington Nissan. This dealership was unlike any of the others that I visited, because I literally felt like they did not want to sell any cars. And, I think I may have been right about that, because Browns Arlington Nissan has since closed down and become just the Brown's Super Center. Next stop was the sketchy Nissan dealership in Tysons Corner. The man that strolled out of the building as soon as my foot hit the pavement of his parking lot looked like he had about a half a gallon of gel in his hair. he was also donning a lovely polyester sport coat and a white mock turtle neck. he treated me like I was a complete idiot (little did he know my dad taught me a lot about 'haggling') and tried to sell me a 2000 Mazda 3 for $12,000. So, I decided to stop by next door at the Honda dealership. This was a much different experience. The man at the Honda dealership I'm pretty sure was in his first week of work. He let me test drive every single car I wanted to and didnt even ask what I was interested in buying. He also did not know how to generate carfax reports. I did NOT buy my car from this man.

So, I left the dealership depressed that day. another week would go by where I would need to carpool to work in the Monte Carlo Sport. I spent every day and night looking online at dealerships, emailing dealers, talking prices and features. I felt like I could not get anyone to take me seriously. So, finally my Dad set up an appointment for me at the Ford dealership in Alexandria. He had me meeting with the top salesWOMAN of the month, Barb Overbo. So, after I got over laughing about her name for a little bit, Marissa and I took a drive over to the Ford dealership to meet with Barb after work. I looked at the car, gave it a test drive, and decided this was the one. So, Barb sent me off to meet with the lady in financing who promptly asked if Marissa and I were lesbian lovers. Kind of a forward question, but she was still a nice lady. After I almost cried over the payments, I signed the papers with my 'lover' standing by. Then I was introduced to crazy nail lady. These nails dont do justice to the ones she had one when I met with her. Not only were they this long, but they also had little gems glued on and some little diamond things dangling off with some sparkling silver nail polish stripes across the blue. She was a true gem. She tried to sell me some paint protector for my used car. I laughed her and told her no. Maybe she was the one who keyed my car two weeks after I got it.

After all was said and done, I really do like my new car (not new anymore) a lot. And, I actually think it drives a lot nicer than my other car and has way less miles, so I guess I'd like to give a big Thank you to Mr. Gomez for helping me find Cammy (my car). But, no thank you for the increased car insurance due to shared fault in our parking lot accident. have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment