Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day


For this fabulous Valentine's Day weekend I had the pleasure of spending it with one of my good friend's Shannon. We had plans to go out in Dupont for a friend's birthday. The night did not turn out exactly as I had planned, but it was quite the evening none the less.

It all was supposed to start at Sesto Senso, which is precisely where it did start for Shannon and myself. Neither of us were too pleased to discover a $10 cover at the door, but it was all in the name of love/the birth of Whitney, so we buckled and paid up and got our neon green bracelets strapped on our wrists. We also weren't too thrilled about the $5 coat check, but we knew we'd be there all night and didn't want to carry our coats, so once again Sesto took more of our money. After we waited for about 8 minutes in a line that was one person long to check our coats (believe me, that is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for the coat check lady to hang up ONE coat and collect her five dollars), we wandered into the bar area. I thought it was odd because a lot of the people there seemed very young. Now that I'm 25, which isn't even old I might add, I do get that feeling sometimes at bars . . . like maybe I'm out at a college bar that all the fresh 21 year olds are coming to, so I chalked it up to that. However, I started to feel like I was actually amongst not just 21 year olds, but possibly 16 year olds, but again, I thought maybe I had one too many drinks before we came out and was just going a tad bit crazy. Shannon and I stopped at the bar to get a drink, and I'd like to note here that I was served immediately and the two bartenders standing behind the bar looked bored out of their mind. She handed me our drinks and Shannon and I looked for a spot to mingle while we waited for the rest of the birthday party participants to arrive. The farther I wandered into the bar area I noticed the drunkest people I had ever seen sloppily dancing with each other or making out in dark corners. I really was quite shocked . . . I hadn't really seen anything like this since college. Then I realized, these people ARE in college. No one had bracelets on, no one had drinks in their hands, and they were all hammered out of their mind because they had to get drunk BEFORE they came to bar since they wouldn't get served here. No wonder the bar was so desolate. It was then that the bouncer came through the crowd with his flashlight looking for minors drinking alcohol. I literally was in complete shock. I couldn't believe that Shannon and I had just spent $47 to come hang out with 18 year olds and was honestly quite confused as to why anyone would want to have their birthday at this place. The only thing that could have made it worse was if it were a Sorority Semi Formal . . . I'm Not a Playa I Just Crush A Lot . . . that's what our Tri Delta Semi Formal T-Shirt's said my senior year at JMU for Valentine's Day (sidenote: Sororities keep all T-Shirt companies in business. We buy T-Shirts for anything you could possibly think to buy a T-Shirt for and MORE).Anyway, I made Shannon text Whitney to see if this was actually where they were headed for her birthday. Apparently it was, but when they saw it had a cover they changed their mind. That would have been nice to know before I put myself into a situation where I was probably viewed as a desperate cougar , but Shannon wanted to make the best of it. So, we finished our drinks and I went to close my tab. As soon as we walked out the door of Sesto Senso I ripped my bracelet off out of pure embarrassment (although that was all null and void since I've admitted attending this bar here on my blog).

We moved on to the bar next door, Spot. By now I have been standing for almost an hour and I was wearing a brand new pair of shoes, extremely cute, but extremely uncomfortable and not broken in at all. Shannon and I had to take a seat at the roped off tables so that we could switch shoes for a half hour just so that I could regain circulation in my feet and not have to possibly amputate my toes later. While I was relishing in the freedom my feet felt, I was lucky to enjoy the hottest R&B hits with a glorious techno beat. This place was nice, not really my style, but at least it wasn't Sesto Senso. After a while we moved on to Ozio. If you have ever been to Ozio you will know that Shannon and I clearly did not belong here. It was hilarious, but it was at this point that I felt as though I might die if I had to stand any longer. So, we finally decided to head home after a great night of dancing and drinks and hanging out with youngsters for a quick 15 minutes at the start of the night. We gave our good byes and headed out to catch a cab.

The streets were a complete mess. I guess the snow/ice doesn't make people want to walk home or take the metro, so finding a cab was going to be difficult. It was going to be even more difficult due to the fact that now that I'd been out for almost 5 hours in the most uncomfortable shoes of my life, I could barely even walk. A few cabs drove by with their lights on and no passengers and when they find out where Shannon and I were headed just kept on driving. I seriously do not understand that. It isn't like I'm not going to pay you just because I am going to Arlington. Although, I did used to pull a little trick in Georgetown where I'd tell cabs I only had a certain amount of money and seem really desperate just to get home when I clearly had a lot of extra cash on me. Anyway, I was going to pay, and I would literally have given someone a 100% tip just to make it so I could take my shoes off sooner. But NO ONE would stop for us. Then, out of nowhere, these two guys came by and were trying to get ahead of us in line for getting a cab. I was probably the most unreasonably angry person there ever was at this point and if I hadn't already put my hand in snow to throw it at a cab, I probably would have tried to throw snow at these guys too. Foot pain apparently makes me a really terrible bitch. However, I did agree to share a cab with them and as soon as I was able to sit I literally became a new person.


All in all it was a great night. I did actually have a lot of fun despite the fact that it started at an 18 + bar (where, I did ask someone how old they were and their response was 'how old do you want me to be' in a really weird voice . . . um gross) and it ended with all of my toes being completely crushed by the cutest shoes ever. I am not sure I will be able to wear these again, if I do, it will be somewhere that I won't have to stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. Anyway, Valentine's Day ended with a lovely brunch at Whitlow's with my Valentine, Shannon. It was truly a fantastic weekend. And, another great thing about Valentine's Day . . . it's a great day to do laundry. I have never seen the laundry room so vacant on a Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment