Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One Life to Live

We've had quite a bit of snow around here lately (some might call it a Snowtorious BIG) and I was working from home on Friday and yesterday, and hey maybe I will be tomorrow too. When I work from home I like to put the television on just to have some background sounds. But I need it to be something totally mindless that I would never get distracted from my work from and try to watch all day. So, lately, I've been enjoying a lot of Soap Net.

Now, I will definitely not go as far to say that I do not/have not ever enjoyed a good Soap Opera, because that would be a huge lie (and I hate liars). Everyone remembers (or at least they SHOULD) the good couple of years that we were entertained by Passions on NBC. Timmy the little midget running around with his Master Tabitha and her magical powers. And even though it never happened, we wanted so desperately for Teresita to end up with her beloved Ethan. Gwen or Mr. Crane always got in the way though. Sadly, that show is off the air. I guess I should be thankful for that too, otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch Soap Net when I was working from home because I'd be way too inclined to stare at the television all day rather than do my work.

So anyway, the point is, I've seen a lot of Soaps lately. And, it got me to thinking about the names of Soaps. Passions was clearly a good name - there was a lot of passion on that show. Teresa and Ethan, Eve and Mr. Crane, Mrs. Crane and the Cop Dude, Charity and Miguel, Miguel and Charity's cousin, it was all over the place, crazy passion. That was a good choice. General Hospital - pretty standard, they named it after their hospital. After all, there wouldn't be a Soap Opera without a hospital. Pretty much every single Soap Opera there is has most of their town residents employed either at the hospital or the police station. If you can't perform surgery or bust criminals then there really isn't anything there for you to do, besdies be a criminal I guess. Then there's All My Children - I guess that one is kind of like crap where are all my children, I have so many by so many different men in this town, they've all grown up at various rates (please see SORAS). I guess I can buy that. But the one that really gets me is One Life to Live. There seriously could not be a more false Soap Opera name. One life to live? Try as many lives as you want to live. As I recall, Stefano DiMera has died at least twelve times on Days of Our Lives, so I'm pretty sure he had way more than one life. Louis's gal pal on Passions (I totally forget her name) was burried alive and managed to come back from the dead. Again, more than one life. Reva Shayne on Guiding Light has certainly died more than once. I mean the list could go on. The point is, One Life to Live has absolutely no right to be naming their Soap Opera that. In the world of Soap Operas there are always multiple lives to live. I actually propose they change the name to Die Another Death. That one has much more meaning to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment