Thursday, January 29, 2009

Boosting the Morale of the American Driver...One Stuffed Animal at a Time

I was driving along 495 the other day and I was feeling pretty down. I had been driving for a few hours back from a friend's house and I was extremely hungover. I had eaten one too many ciabatta subs from Wawa and had indulged in an extra large cup of coffee that was really doing a number on my bladder. With just 3 exits to go I started to become happy and excited to get into my nice warm bed and sleep...and then traffic hit. Stopped traffic, that is. I felt miserable. We weren't moving an inch. My world was crumbling all around me and the worst part of it was that I wasn't entirely positive that I WAS NOT going to pee my pants. Just when I thought things couldn't be worse, God shined down on me from above in the form of an old blue Chevy. I looked up and saw the most beautiful back-window display on a car I have ever seen. Stuffed animals of all species sat together peering out of the back window with faces of pure delight and happiness. They all stood together motionless, yet full of life. Their carefully threaded smiles were contagious and I found myself looking on the bright side. How could life be so bad when you were looking at an adorable beanie baby collection that featured cuddly puppies, endearing turtles, a snuggly koala bear and a pudgy little polar bear all sitting together in peace and harmony? It is in that moment that I realized the fine art of the the car back-window display. Not only does it spread happiness and cheer to all those on the road, but it is truly a craft in that each animal/item is strategically and meticulously placed and organized. I urge everyone to be more aware while driving and to look for the displays and to appreciate the time and effort that the driver took to make sure that YOUR driving experience was pleasant. Being as the display faces out the back, these selfless drivers get NO JOY out of doing this, except for to revel in the joy and delight it spreads. Thank you, selfless back-window display artists of America, you changed my life.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment