Thursday, January 15, 2009

A few items to consider during poor economic times


In today's economic climate of rising energy costs and uncertain financial markets businesses are cutting costs wherever possible. They are really trying to 'trim the fat' and increase their bottom line in any way possible. CEO's and Budget Analysts are reviewing how they spend their money and deciding to cut out those unnecessary costs.

My suggestion is that the US also engage in some of these reviews and possibly consider downsizing and getting rid of the unnecessary. I would like to start with getting rid of a few 'states.' Having been a Massachusetts resident for 18 years of my life, my heart really belongs to the Union so my biggest concerns lie there. With that being said I think that it is important that the Union really consider which states are really relevant, useful, valued, significant, etc. My number one recommendation would be to eliminate Rhode Island. It is the sorriest excuse of a state and it should just be part of Connecticut. First off, the sales tax in the state of Rhode Island is 7%. That is abusrd. The state itself is the size of some people's hometowns and they have the audacity to charge me 7% on purchases when I go shop at the Providence Place Mall - No thanks, I'll take my business elsewhere liek to another state that is maybe 4 feet away. The only other state in the entire country that has a sales tax rates higher than Rhode Island is California, and lets face it they can do whatever they want there. Secondly, getting rid of Rhode Island would make one less state to share Boston sports teams with. For some odd reason New England consists of SIX states and we get ONE team for each sport. Don't ask me why becuase I'll never understand it, especially when New York has more than enough teams for each sport to go around (with the exception of basketball).

Anyhow, after we elminiate Rhode Island I think we should continue trimming the fat from the Union and get rid of Delaware. Does anyone even go there? If they do, its probably just to go to the beach in which case it could just be added to Maryland where there are plenty of other beaches to hit up. At the most northern part of Delaware you can actually drive just 12 miles to get to the other side. My home town has roads that are longer than that and my home town is NOT large. If I can drive 12 miles in my own home town and still be there then I think that its a little crazy that you can drive 12.1 miles and be completely gone from the state of Delaware. Delawares economy is pretty worthless as well. It's not like anything that comes from Delaware can't be produced elsewhere.

Extending outside of the Union there are a few states in the northern part of the US that really should just be given to Canada: North Dakota and Montana. Both extremely large yet completely worthless states. North Dakota has TWO cities. If a state that large has been around for over 110 years and has only managed to muster up two cities I would say it is pointless to give it anymore time. Just give it to Canada I'm sure they can find something useful to do with it. Montana ranks 4th in area in US states but somehow manages to rank 44th in population. I will tell you which states are below it: Delaware, Rhode Island, North Dakota - get rid of them all.

It has been suggested to me by a friend of mine that South Dakota also should be done away with. She will remain nameless so that she can avoid any offensive remarks that she would receive for this suggestion. But, when Emily Dyche told me that she felt South Dakota was completely 'useless' I had to do a little research. Now we all know that South Dakota is home to Mt. Rushmore which is my #1 reason for not removing this state (I love Presidents), but it is also home to the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Ralley. How could we even consider getting rid of such a state? Not to mention that SD has the lowest unemployment rate of all the states in the US. In these economic times, I would have to say getting rid of South Dakota would be a POOR decision, sorry Emily.

I welcome other suggestions on pointless states to get rid of during these difficult economic times. Although, I just would like to point out that they may not be implemented any time in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment