Friday, January 30, 2009

Cool Things from the 90's




Please take a moment to reflect on some of these items. I am sure that we have all seen the peace frog or the Ron Jon's Surf Shop stickers donning the bumper of a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera or maybe a beat up Ford Escort. And, I'm sure most of us played with pogs at some point in middle school. Don't ask me why, becuase they really weren't that cool. They were round pieces of cardboard that we collected. We held such pride towards our collections, but then we threw hunks of metal (slammers) at a pile of our treasured pogs, why? I just really don't get it. Some of you out there probably even brushed the bright pink hair on your troll dolls. These also weren't that fun to play with, yet I had a large collection. Many of us probably drew some ying yangs in our notes during class while we wrote our name in bubble letters or maybe even drew some of those geometric S's. You probably babysat for some kid that had those annoying Tamagotchi toys and I bet your little brother had a Starter jacket like the cool kid below. So, please just take a moment to reflect on some of the really cool and totally awesome items that were a product of the 90's and think about what your favorite was . . .



1 comment:

  1. wow. i have not heard the word "slammer" in FAR too many years. I remember purchasing a really beautiful slammer pog with a skull and crossbones (I was SO proud of it.) Kind of like the time I purchased my bother a wallet that had "69" written on it. I was very excited to give him that gift and too young to know what 69 was referring to. When he opened it he made an awkward smile and I didn’t know why until about 5 years later. Anyhow, back to pogs...once I had a friend over when I was in 5th grade and she was being mean so I threw her best pog on the floor and made my dog eat it. It was the quite possibly the best possibly revenge I have ever felt/experienced. I kept all my pogs in a black woven mini-backpack and took them with me wherever I went. I miss pogs (ok well not really but I am glad you acknowledged their existence and intense, if not short-lived, coolness.)

    ReplyDelete